Babies and children are truly magical beings, and so connected to the earth and its surroundings. From a young age I have always been in awe being around babies and children, and joy when interacting with them. I’ve made it a part of my life, as a babysitter in high school and an Infant Teacher in a Preschool today. I truly believe part of my mission and purpose in the world is to love and nurture each baby and child I meet.
Babies and children naturally have so much curiosity, caring, joy and wisdom within them. As adults, there is so much we can learn from them. They remind us how to be in this world. I encourage every adult to see the world through the eyes of a baby or child for a day. Notice how you see things differently, the joy, curiosity, and excitement it brings!
From the Moment We are Born
Each of us human beings are unique and we carry our unique energies and gifts in this world. From the moment we are born, we begin to understand what it means to be in the physical. How do we understand the world around us? What do we experience each day? What can we learn? How can we grow from it?
For example, babies express themselves when they are feeling hungry or tired. Babies can sense, feel and see things that we as adults don’t always connect with or see. Most of us can think of a time when we noticed a baby is looking at “nothing” or giggling at “nothing”. But think about that, where did that response come from? This is an example of the deep connection babies have to this world. What a gift they have to be fully open and aware of all that is part of their physical existence. Babies and children are caring and playful with one another. They are so open and welcoming to others. These gifts should be acknowledged and encouraged by parents and loved ones.
Babies and children are very connected to who they are. Each knowing they are a perfect unique human being. Babies and children have such incredible gifts and wisdom. As babies and children develop it is important to nourish these curiosities and playful nature. Engaging in play and interacting with others brings a deeper understanding of who they are as individuals, their uniqueness and how they are special in this world.
Fun Activities to Bring Joy
Research repeatedly demonstrates that small brain-based, mindful habits lead to big stress-resilient results. There are so many fun activities that bring joy to both the child and adult! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Magical Story Time & Art – children find such joy in talking about and connecting with elemental beings such as fairies, dragons, unicorns and elves. I really enjoy reading children’s books about learning, discovering, and adventures of each elemental being.
- Yoga & Labyrinth –Emotions can be addressed through movement. Learn basic yoga skills to engage compassion, relaxing and restoring, managing anxiety, and more. Explore the labyrinth to incorporate purposeful movement.
- Meditation, Breathing – Children are very connected to their bodies, and they know what they need, even if they can’t fully express it. I like to introduce meditation with a breathing technique of in through the nose and out through the mouth. Showing children how their tummy grows out when breathing in and gets smaller when breathing out. Explore what it means to “just breathe”! And try a simple 5 minute meditation journey to a forest, or a fun and safe place your child could connect to. The point is to relax the body and ease any unrest the child might be feeling.
- Crystals & Chakras – Children love crystals! Pick you favorite crystals, and introduce them to your child. My favorite to show to children is rose quartz. I like to ask children what they think each crystal is for, and am always amazed at the intuitive and insightful answers I get!
- Mindfulness – Practicing mindfulness means you are intentionally bringing your awareness to the present moment. Learn to become aware of your breath, notice your thoughts, become aware of sounds, and focus on sensations in your body.
Research also tells us that the early years (age 0 to 8) are most critical to a child’s development. I hope you take time to try one of these activities and explore from the eyes of your child.
Alissa Gebeke is a Guide and Healer with the Modern Mystery School living in Minneapolis, Minnesota. She uses her intuitive gifts to connect to each person she meets on a heart level. Alissa has extensive training in an ancient lineage and has seen the results and growth in her life, and works with those looking and ready to step forward for healing with meditation, healings, and classes. Alissa has a special intuitive gift and connection with infants and children, and offers intuitive readings and classes for younger ages.
Alissa is part of an international community that comes together in a tradition of compassionate action and service, on a mission to create a more peaceful world. As we cultivate peace within, we become stronger agents of positive change in the world. To learn more about upcoming programs, please visit the Modern Mystery School.